How To: Dress For Your Body Shape

By | 11:13 Leave a Comment
When I'm out shopping, I see so many girls picking up clothes and hearing them say 'oooh this is gorgeous' but don't consider whether it's going to look good on them or not, and yet they take it to the tills without even trying it on. At the same time I see other girls stressing out saying how 'that won't suit me' and 'I'll look frumpy in that'. Well, you don't know until you try it on. But I thought, maybe I could help some of you out there to find out what your body shape is - and more importantly - how to dress for it.

*disclaimer* - I am not a fashion consultant, nor do I have any qualifications in the field. In this post I'm sharing my knowledge of what I've learnt throughout the years and through my many hours spent watching Gok Wan's tv shows hehe. I've researched each of the different shapes in depth to help provide you with as much information as possible. Also, these are only guidelines, not strict rules that you must adhere to. If you love a particular cut and I've said that it wouldn't suit your shape, then wear it! I'm not here to judge on what you wear, just to advise what's best for your figure. Pleeeease don't take offence to anything I say - it's not intended to be hurtful, I promise.

There are five recognised body shapes - Banana, Apple, Pear, Top-Heavy and the most sought-after of them all - Hourglass. In this post I'm going to break down each body shape and put outfits together to help give you an idea of how to make your body look it's best.

For years I've never been too sure what my body shape was. Some people said I was a banana "because you're so skinny", other's said I was an Hourglass because of my "tiny waist". About a year ago, I finally found out that I was a Pear, and I'm pretty chuffed about it if I do say so myself. Knowing what shape I am has made finding perfect clothes so much easier!

To calculate your body shape, grab a tape measure and write down your bust, waist and hip measurements. Then pop on over here to find out your shape!


First off, this applies to all shapes out there - you MUST wear a well-fitting bra. I'm gonna hold my hands up, for years I just 'guessed' my bra size. It wasn't until around a year ago when I went into Boux Avenue and a super-sweet shop assistant asked me my size to help me find this bikini I wanted. When I told her my size, she looked me up and down and laughed whilst shaking her head. So after a little convincing, she took me into the changing rooms and measured me. I was always adamant that I wouldn't have a bra fitting because I thought you'd have to take your bra off - you don't. So if you're like the old me, please don't be scared. Like the assistant said, we're all girls and we all have boobs so don't be ashamed! Bob into your local Boux Avenue shop and get measured. I haven't met a shop assistant in there that I haven't got on with, they are easily the kindest shop workers I've ever met! So you have no excuses. Unless you don't live near a Boux Avenue, then Boux you! (I promise to never say that again my gosh that was cringey help me) 


Banana

Like Mila Kunis, Miranda Kerr and HRH the Duchess of Cambridge, your shoulders, bust, waist and hips are the same width.

As a banana, you're pretty lucky as most things will suit you, that's why the majority of models are bananas.

Tips: 
- DO wear halter necks. They make you look like you have a bigger bust.
- DO wear structured dresses to help give you the illusion of curves.
- DON'T go near maxi skirts or dresses that aren't patterned or have any structure to them - they'll make you look more 'banana-ery' (you know what I mean) and possibly frumpy.
- DO show off those legs! Mini skirts and dresses will help accentuate your best feature.
- DO wear tops and dresses that have a high neckline, they show off the leanness of your figure. 
- DON'T wear tops with a plunging neckline, they emphasise curves, not create them.
- DO wear waist jackets, especially embellished ones or ones with structured shoulders - they'll make your waist look even tinier and therefore making your top and bottom halves look wider (in a good way). 
- DON'T wear low-rise jeans if you have a long torso, but if you don't (have a long torso) they'll accentuate your lean legs (especially skinny jeans).
Apple

Like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and Adele, your bust and waist is wider than your shoulders and hips.

Tips: 
- DON'T wear tight or fitted tops, it'll make you look wider. 
- DO wear wrap dresses, they'll slim down your waist and even out your whole body.
- DO wear low necklines, they help elongate your top half.
- DO opt for empire lines. They skim past the waist, hiding your midsection. 
- DON'T go for low-rise jeans or mini skirts, they accentuate the bit you want to tone down. 
- DO wear knee-length a-line skirts, they elongate your legs.
- DO go for tops/dresses with detailing on the sleeves, it showcases your fabulous arms.
- DON'T go for jackets that are shorter than hip-length, it'll put too much focus on your midsection.
Pear

Like Beyonce, Iggy Azalea and Jennifer Lopez your hips are wider than your shoulders and bust with a defined waist.

Tips:
- DO go for pencil skirts, it'll elongate your bottom half which will get rid of any bulkiness.
- DON'T wear dresses, bottoms or skirts with bulky pockets - you'll make yourself look wider.
- DO wear patterned tops with detailing like ruffles and layers - it'll balance you out.
- DO show off that waist! If you're wearing a dress, keep the waist cinched in with a belt.
- DO opt for empire lines, they keep the focus on your top-half and therefore hiding any problem areas.
- DON'T wear dresses, bottoms or skirts that have a lot of detailing in the hip and thigh area - you'll just draw attention to the part of your body you're wanting to tone down.
- DON'T go near dropped hemlines. Your waist is your friend so keep it accentuated!
- DO wear waist jackets, they help to balance out your body.
Top-Heavy

Like Jessica Biel, Pink and Audrina Partridge, your shoulders and/or bust are wider than your hips.

Tips: 
- DO even out your bottom half by wearing patterned skirts - skater, peplum and tulip skirts would suit best.
- DON'T wear collared or embellished jackets - they'll bring more attention to the part of your body that you're trying to tone down. Instead, opt for simple, collarless and belted numbers.
- DON'T wear an ill-fitting bra, they can make you look heavy and saggy. 
- DO wear figure-hugging pieces, but not so tight that your bust is popping out (stay classy!).
- DON'T wear tops or dresses with any patterns or pockets near the bust. 
- DO go for sweetheart and v-neck necklines as they elongate and balance out your top half.
- DON'T wear strapless tops or vests, they'll make you look heavier.
- DO go for wide-legged trousers, they put your body in proportion.
Hourglass

Like Katy Perry, Jennifer Lawrence and Kim Kardashian, your shoulders, bust and hips are the same width with a defined waist.

Damn you hourglasses with your pretty perfect figures. The main thing for me to say is that you need to show off your waist!

Tips: 
- DO accentuate your waist and show off your envious figure, waist belts are a must with dresses.
- DON'T wear loose fitting tops, it can make you appear to have a wider waist.
- DON'T wear anything that will add bulk to your bust and hips, instead stick to simple structured pieces.
- DO go for waist-length jackets, they accentuate your curves perfectly.
- DON'T wear anything with a high neckline if it's not fitted, they cover the parts you wanna show off!
- DON'T wear items that have straight lines, they conceal the good bits and bring out the bad.
- DO go for leg-lengthening pieces as they will make you look leaner, like a good pair of heels or mid-rise jeans...or both!
- DO wear things with a low or wide neckline, they're super flattering.





So there it is! I hope you've enjoyed what I've had to say and I hope it's given you some help and guidance into your own figure and how to flaunt it. It does sound pretty daunting at first but soon enough you'll be able to realise why that thing you tried on in the changing rooms didn't look quite right, which will save time and effort in the long run!


What's your body shape?
~requested~

0 comments:

Post a Comment