My Top 10 Cruelty-Free Beauty Brands 2013

By | 23:45 3 comments
Ok, so I've been a vegetarian for around 7 years now. A lot of people ask me why, and my usual response is 'I've never really liked meat' but I guess it's more than that. I've always been a huge animal lover and I became a vegetarian after I found out that animals were killed for meat (I thought they died naturally - how naive) and I can easily say I'll never go back. Because of my passion for animals and their welfare, I began researching animal rights and came across the PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) website. For some of you that may not know, PETA is an animal rights charity based in America, and they basically fight for animal rights and reveal the raw truth about what really happens to animals behind closed doors. On their homepage there was a link to their 'Companies that test' and 'Companies that don't test' lists, and as I was an intrigued 11-year-old I decided to check them out. I didn't know up until then what went on in laboratories. I didn't know what animals went through just so someone could have a tube of mascara. It's fair to say I was in complete shock. I went on several of their other posts about animal testing and actually saw what happened to the monkeys and the kittens. I recall just sitting there and crying for hours, I just couldn't understand how anyone could ever do that to a defenceless animal! Luckily, as I was only young I'd only ever used mum's Marks & Spencer's make-up which was - and still is - cruelty free. I decided from then on that whatever make-up I purchased would NOT be tested on animals, and I trusted in PETA's 'Companies that don't test' list for guidance. Sorry for the long intro, but here it is, my top 10 cruelty-free make-up brands!


10. Natural Collection - Cheap & Great Quality
One of my favourite face powders is the NC Pressed Powder. It helps keep shine at bay, it's perfect for my porcelain skin and most importantly it's a mere (drum roll) £1.99. Yes, you read it right. I'm pretty in love with the powders, they aren't super pigmented, which you kinda expect from something so cheap,  but I don't use powders for coverage, I use them just to set my foundation and prevent oil attacking it, and it does it for me.


9. Lee Stafford - Soft & Shiny results
I have a fairly big collection of Lee Stafford products, one of my favourites being his Hair Growth range. All his products are encased in the famous pink packaging which makes it a stylish addition to your dressing table, a bonus on his already great quality products. Even though it's a high-quality brand, it's affordable. If it's slightly out of your price range, Boots often do a 3 for 2 offer on the Lee Stafford range, making it that much more appealing. If you're like me and fall for products just by sniffing them, you'll fall in love with these products, guaranteed.


8. Liz Earle Skincare - Natural & Really Works
I've got really bad scarring from having acne and I've tried all the skincare sets that are meant to help me, like Clinique's Anti Blemish range and Manuka Doctor's apiclear. But none of it really worked... I mean they might've made a slight improvement but not enough for me to notice. I tried Liz Earle's Hot Cloth Cleanser set a few months back and i've really loved it. I'm not sure if it's this or the weather or me not wearing makeup so much but my skin has vastly improved. My scarring has reduced dramatically and I can see a major difference in my skin. I was so sceptical about it seen as the Clinique and Manuka Doctor ranges didn't work for me, so I'm really hoping that these results are down to Liz Earle. One thing I have noticed is that my skin seems 'happier' because of the set. As in, my face doesn't get oily as quick after I've washed it, the toner doesn't make my skin feel tight like the others did and the moisturiser leaves my skin reeeally soft. Fingers crossed that by this time next year my scarring has completely gone, go on Liz, work your magic!!


7. ghd - Elite & Professional
When it comes to styling, ghd is THE company. It's world-renowned status has made it notorious for it's array of straighteners and more recently, hair products and the ghd air. I own the air myself, alongside the Pink Orchid styler and several products including the Final Fix Hairspray (I wrote a review for it here), the Heat Protect Spray and the Straight & Smooth Spray. The quality of ghd's products are phenomenal, there's a reason why they are so famous! ghd can be pricey, but boy is it worth it.


6. Soap & Glory - Vintage & Kooky
I am a huuuge Soap & Glory fan. When it's Christmastime and Boots do their 3 for 2's I can't help myself but buy almost all of their sets. I know, I know I don't need it all but when it's on offer and the packaging is that cute and it all smells so gooood I just can't help myself. I am not sorry. Some of my favourite S&G products include their Arch De Triumph eyebrow pencil, Kick Ass Concealer and Sugar Crush body wash (you just need to smell it)!


5. Bourjois - Colourful & Pigmented *NO LONGER CRUELTY FREE*
Bourjois are famous for their eyeshadows (which I happen to be selling here and here) and blushers, but one thing I love about Bourjois are their Rouge Edition Lipsticks (will be doing a review on these at some point probably). My current tally is at 5 and counting with my favourite being Fraise Remix which is a beautiful bright pink, perfect for going out but tame enough for a work environment. Another Bourjois product I love is their Healthy Mix Concealer, which I use as a 'base' concealer underneath my foundation if I need super full coverage. I'm determined to collect all their Little Round Pot eyeshadows, I only have 8 at the moment but they are so luxuriously pigmented and affordable that I just can't help myself!


4. No.7 - Sleek & Flawless
I have a major love for No7's Beautifully Matte foundation, which I wrote a review of here. Not only is their match-made service revolutionary, their range of foundations, concealers and powders is wide enough for any skin tone or type. Besides my fave foundation, I also adore their felt-tip liner, it makes lining your upper lashes so much easier due to the nib being fairly stiff so you don't end up with black all over. Plus, their brush cleanser is a must-have!


3. Real Techniques - Vegan & Affordable
These brushes are sososo soft, and they're made using synthetic hairs! Sam Chapman is the lady behind these phenominal brushes that promise to give you a flawless finish without spending an arm and a leg! I'm obsessed with them, I only have 8 in my collection at the moment but I intend on buying them all, they've changed the way my makeup looks completely. I didn't realise before but it wasn't until I made my first purchase on their Stippling Brush that it was so easy to create an airbrushed look, before I settled with blotchy - not good.


2. Barry M - Cheap & Cheerful
I've only used Barry M's lip paints, lip crayons and nail paints but they are some of the best i've ever come across, especially the Paints. As you may have seen in a previous post on the Barry M Gelly Nail Paints i'm a little in love. The Gellys are my ultimate fave when it comes to the polishes but I also have the textured paint in Kingsland Road, the special Christmas gold edition paint, the sequin paint in Pink and the neon paint in Fuschia (amazing colour)! I'm adament to collect all the Lip Paints, they're so creamy and long-lasting, and for £4.49 you can't really go wrong, plus the green one that changes colour to the alkaline level on your lips is so freaking cool, and I managed to nab it after months of searching!


1. Urban Decay - Luxury & Ridiculously Pigmented
And finally, at number one it has to be the exquisite Urban Decay. The pigmentation of Urban Decay's eyeshadows are astounding, although they are quite pricey they're definitely worth it - I use mine for occasions, not daily use as I'm quite worried about hitting pan! Despite this, I find that no other eyeshadow can even compare to that of UD's. I currently have the Naked, Naked2, BYOP Rock, BYOP Melt, Glinda and Theodora palettes, and I still feel like I need more! I use their b6 Vitamin-Infused Complexion Spray and their De-Slick Setting Spray daily, it makes such an impact on the longevity of my makeup, thus saving more makeup in the long run. I'm also a big fan of their Super Saturated Lip Crayons, SuperCurl Curling Mascara, all their brushes, and their powders. Not only are their products commendable, but so is their attitude to animal welfare. Urban Decay is recognised as being one of the biggest cruelty-free brands, with a wide vegan range. When they were considering expanding to China, I was furious. I sent emails begging them to not lose their morals just so their makeup could be sold in a big country. Luckily, UD listened to the thousands of us and decided not to sell in China, thus keeping them cruelty-free. YAY YAY URBAN DECAY!


p.s. i'm sorry the post is a day late - Celebrity Big Brother finished last night and I couldn't miss it for the world (shut up that is not sad, Charlotte & Mario needed me okay)


What's your favourite cruelty-free brand?!

3 comments: Leave Your Comments