How to: Care For Your Skin

By | 21:30 Leave a Comment
I often get asked my favourite skincare products from many different people. Now, I'm all for telling you guys, as it is my job as a beauty blogger after all, but sometimes I can't help but wonder that what if you have dry skin, and your copying my skincare regime and then surprised when it's making your skin worse. I don't want do that! So instead, I've written this 'guide' if you will, to help you understand your skin type and discover the products that will make it look - and feel - fabulous.

First of all, I have oily, acne-prone skin. It sucks. A lot. I've been to the doctors about it, been put on antibiotics which made me very ill, a cream that brought me out in a rash so bad that I was 99% sure my face was on fire and then of course, I tried it my own way with various lotions and potions that promised the world to no avail.

In this post I'm gonna help you discover your skin type and how to care for it. I'm not a dermatologist and don't have any professional knowledge in the field, but I'm going to tell you what I know from experience and compile as much as I can from the internet. I've tried to include many skincare essentials like toners, moisturisers and scrubs, but I've also added masks, oils and facial peels as I thought that it would be good to recommend products that you may have never tried before but may work wonders on your skin! Also, I tried to aim for different budgets, whether they be little or big. Please note that skincare products usually are fairly pricey, but often that is the case for the more promising products.

The one thing that I will recommend to all skin types is Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser (£13.25 for 100ml pump). It's brilliant, and when teamed with the muslin cloth it gives gentle daily exfoliation. To be honest, I've used countless LE products and not one of them has disappointed, it's by far my favourite skin care brand, and although there are plenty of LE recommendations below, I've included other brands' popular products too.

Sensitive

Your skin can react easily to products. They may bring you out in a rash, cause flaky skin or general inflammation. All skin types can have this.

Now, I haven't compiled a list of products for sensitive skin. Instead, I labelled the products for each of the skin types if they were suitable for sensitive skin. That way, if you're combination-sensitive, for example, you know which products you would be able to use. If that makes sense...


Normal

You're the luckiest of them all, obviously. You have no 'extreme' signs like the others but your skin can sometimes feel tight and your t-zone a little shiny. Generally you have no problems with your skin. Just because you have good skin doesn't mean you shouldn't look after it though!




- philosophy the microdelivery peel in-home vitamin c/peptide peel (2pc) - £59 (suitable for sensitive skin)
- Liz Earle Gentle Face Exfoliator (70ml) - £14
- Trilogy Very Gentle Calming Serum (30ml) - £28.50 (suitable for sensitive skin)

Oily

Your skin is shiny all over and are prone to breakouts, more-so on the t-zone but can get them anywhere. Also likely to have large pores and blackheads.

- Nose pore strips. Now these are pretty amazing, they get out all the dirt and gunk (cute) outta your nose, leaving it clean and less-prone to blackheads. The only thing about the strips is that you should never over-use them otherwise you can be left with massive pores. Not a good look. I generally use them once a fortnight, or longer if my nose is looking blackhead-free. I use Marks & Spencer's Nose Pore Strips (£3 for a pack of 6). On the back of the box it says you're meant to use them twice a week but DON'T. Three days doesn't allow enough time for your skin to rejuvenate, and that's how you can end up with large pores. Always make sure you moisturise after using them, too.
- Don't do what I used to do and strip your face of oil by just applying toner and leaving it. It makes your oil levels sky-rocket as your skin detects that there is none there. Therefore, you end up with even oilier skin, which means whenever you apply a toner, always apply moisturiser afterwards.




- Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Exfoliating Face Scrub (150ml) - £3.79
- The Body Shop Seaweed Day Cream (50ml) - £10
- Molton Brown Pink Toronja Refining Toner (200ml) - £25
- Montagne Jeunesse Shine Control Face Mask (sachet) - £1.49
- philosophy when hope is not enough hydrating antioxidant serum (30ml) - £34 (suitable for sensitive skin)

Combination

Similar to normal, but more extreme. Your skin can be tight and flaky but around your t-zone it's fairly oily. You're prone to breakouts, too.

- With combination skin, you have to be careful. You can't use products for oily skin, as it dries out the outer half of your face, and you can't use products for dry skin, as it puts your oil production on your t-zone into overdrive. It's like you're fighting a losing battle. That's why you always need to go for products specially designed for combination skin. There are loads, I promise.




(I know a lot of you will be wondering why I recommended aftersun. Basically, when my skin gets a little dry, I use the Soltan Aftersun and it works wonders. Plus, the aloe vera in it helps clear spots. It's amazing, and well worth a try for the price!)

- Boots Soltan Aftersun Hydrating Lotion (400ml) - £8 (suitable for sensitive skin)
- Montagne Jeunesse Strawberry Souffle Face Mask (sachet) - £1 (suitable for sensitive skin)
- Trilogy Rosehip Oil Antioxidant+ (30ml) - £26.50
- Soap & Glory The Fab Pore 2-in-1 Facial Pore Purifying Mask & Peel (50ml) - £10
- Trilogy Hydrating Mist Toner (100ml) - £17.50

Dry

Your skin often feels tight and can be flaky. It's likely that your pores are on the smaller side, too.

- Moisturise. Moisturise. Moisturise. I can't stress this enough. Being lazy on a night-time and not using any can mean that you wake up with skin that feels tight and possibly painful. It's not worth it! Get into a routine of washing your face, using toner and then applying moisturiser.
- If you have especially dry skin, try a facial oil, like the philosophy one recommended below. They not only put moisture back into the skin but they also plump the skin out, helping to smooth fine lines and wrinkles. They're sometimes dubbed miracle-workers, and it makes sense why...




- philosophy when hope is not enough omega 3.6.9 replenishing oil (0.85oz) - £34 (suitable for sensitive skin)
No7 Total Renewal Micro-dermabrasion Face Exfoliator (75ml) - £11 (suitable for sensitive skin)
- The Body Shop Hemp Face Protector (50ml) - £8 (suitable for sensitive skin)
- Liz Earle Intensive Nourishing Treatment Mask (50ml) - £14 (suitable for sensitive skin)
- Molton Brown Tamarind Fruit Refining Toner (200ml) - £25


What's your skin type?
~requested~

0 comments:

Post a Comment